Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The First Three Weeks - Recap


Today is Sparky's 3-week anniversary of his cancer diagnosis and the vet's announcement that he has 2 months left to live. We hopefully get to prove them all wrong! I thought I would recap what I have changed in his life so far, and what our treatment looks like at the moment.

CURRENT COURSE OF TREATMENT (for a 70 lb lab mix):
  • 6 cups of food per day
  • 50% protein, 25 % veggies, 25 % rice
  • 1 capsule Colostrum twice a day (for a healthy GI)
  • 1 teaspoon of Pet Dophilus a day (healthy GI)
  • 3 capsules of Omega 3, 6, and 9 per day (we've currently stopped this, because of some diarrhea issues)
  • 1- 1 1/2 cc Astragalus (immune booster) twice per day
  • .75 cc Neoplasene twice per day (minimum dosage for a dog his size, but we're dealing with a sensitive stomach - this dosage will be increased)
  • massages (by me) to stimulate and exercise his weakened hind legs
  • 5 daily short walks to stimulate and exercise those hind legs
  • acupuncture - starting this week on a regular basis, probably 1 or 2 times per week for a month

RECOMMENDED FOODS:
  • ground beef
  • chicken breasts
  • salmon
  • sardines (water-based is preferred)
  • eggs (2 - 4 eggs, approved by holistic vet)
  • brown rice
  • squash or zucchini
  • carrots (try mashed with some butter - big hit with my pooch)
  • yogurt (stay away from the sweetened kind)
  • cottage cheese
  • wieners (as a treat)
  • sliced deli meats (as a treat)
  • cheese (use the mild stuff)
  • broccoli (but don't feed too much of this, could cause some GI upset)

I think this just about covers it. I'm hoping to see more progress when the acupuncture kicks in. So far it's been a bit rocky, going back and forth quite a bit, but overall I have the impression he's getting better. Last night we had a small breakthrough. We took a little walk at around 7 pm, and out of nowhere, Sparky grabbed his toy out of my hand, and sprinted down the street like a maniac. Not only that, but when I caught up to him we played tug for a good 5 minutes. I ended up chasing him around the driveway and down the street, while he was running around, mouth wide open, looking back to me as if he was smiling. We haven't had a moment like this in weeks, maybe even months. And our morning today started off just as well. He got up and greeted me. It's been a long time since this has happened. Total bliss for both of us.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful news!
    Indie used to LOVE carrots. She was such a picky eater though. I've never met a dog to scoff at so much food as she did. Cheese was her biggest addiction, but for most other foods, she was famous for spitting out food she insisted on begging for. That's so great that Sparky will eat the proper foods for you!!!
    Glad you had such a blissful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This news makes me sigh with happiness. I can only imagine how great that experience would feel. In fact, I will probably dream of this tonight. I remember the smiles so well. You are both so fortunate. Go Sparky Go!

    ReplyDelete