Friday, November 13, 2009

Mutt Manipulation


Sparky had a subtle way to let me know when things were borderline unacceptable to him. I believe this picture was taken while I was on break from law school. I think I had a total of 3 weeks off, but with pre-semester prep, that time was cut down to about two weeks. I remember that day I dared to lounge on my bed, watching TV, rather than being out and about with El Pooch. Don't get me wrong, by that time, he had been outside for a walk at least  2 or 3 times, but nevertheless, good was not good enough. Not when there were plenty of hugs and kisses that could have been given instead. Gosh, I loved this pooch.  So he would sit by my bed, quietly, and he would stare me down, literally. I would try to ignore him, showing off my "alpha-dog powers", but in the end, the needy pup would always win.

 

Another amazing Sparky-feature was his nose. It was big and juicy. And it had a freckle on top, one that would grow larger and larger with age. His nose was the culprit for his constant battle of the bulge. I always wished he had a little bit more self-control ... especially when it came to my dinner plate. I don't remember many times when I was able to eat my own plate without having that big, black nose nudging me, nudging the table, or the plate itself. And when I gave him a stern No(!), he would momentarily go shy on me, bow his head, lower his ears, and look off to the side ... but only for a few seconds before he would look back up to me, waiting for me to crack a smile. My vet used to tell me that he was a  little manipulator and couldn't be trusted when he had zero-ed in on something he wanted... mostly food.

There are so many Sparky tales that I hope to remember and memorialize in this blog. Dogs like Sparky, who have the patience of a saint, proven by the fact that he was living with my neurotic self, shouldn't be forgotten. I guess over the last few months I've been struggling with the fact that many people indeed were ready to forget... I think he was my little counter part, my side kick, my 'better' half ... Wherever I went, a story and a picture of Sparks went as well. When Sparky passed, so did the stories and the pictures, and a little part of myself ... Time heals all, I know ... some things just take a little longer, especially when they were as amazing as my Sparky.




4 comments:

  1. oh, I love your blog about Sparky, Mareike...what a wonderful way to keep his memory alive! xx, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best photos ever! That top one is priceless!!!!
    It's the old Jedi Mind trick that dogs seem to possess!! I love it!

    I've had some people who've seemed to forgotten that my life is broken as well. Sometimes it's a bit annoying because I feel so obviously injured and handicapped. Other times, it seems people have simply forgotten what had happened, and that doesn't bother me as much. People have made comments about me and my dog before remembering that my dog, my Indiana, is gone. But those mistakes don't bother me. I'm happy to know that in the eyes of other people I am one half me, one half dog.

    But I think sometimes it is worth it to be blunt with people and explain that we all have something that helps us through each day, and that ours were living breathing creatures that are now dead. I tell people often that this is not something I will conquer easily. Even if they think I'm weird, at least they back off and don't forget again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sparky, I just love you. I love your nose with the big freckle and the sweet look you have for your mom. I'm sure you know this, but you are missed completely!

    M - if there is one thing I am trying to do, it is to not let the stories of my beloved soul girl pass. I know it is hard, but keep those memories alive through conversations, your blog and daily chats with Sparky.

    I hope you can find a special "spot" to connect with Sparks - whether it is on the beach or in your home. I promise you will find peace there - if only for a moment - but the peace is one less moment of sadness.

    xoxo
    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sparky's Mom,

    You have been posting comments on Harley's Mission a few times now and did not even realize that you had your own blog. I am so thrilled to stumble upon it. I think that your blog is so touching and a beautiful way to keep dearest Sparky's memory alive. Nothing is harder then losing a best friend.

    I lost my first dog back in February, he was 16. Max was my childhood dog and had him throughout the majority of my life. He was so special in many ways, although he was sick for about 4 months before he was ready to leave us. It was one of the most difficult things that I had to do.

    CLICK HERE:

    http://harleysmission.blogspot.com/search/label/Coping%20with%20Loss


    Sparky was a true beauty and a dear special friend, that will never change and it will take time to "recover" from his loss, however its almost as though we never completely "recover" we just learn to move forward. I was only able to move forward because of Harley. We adopted Harley about 2 weeks after Max's passing. I just couldn't bear the thought of not having a dog, My need for honest companionship is far too great, plus there are so many dogs that need good homes. In many ways, Harley taught me how to cope and deal with the loss of my former dog.

    Either way its such a hard process and I totally empathize and share your pain, but I can say that little Sparky is in a much better place and he was SO lucky to have such a wonderful and loving Mom like you. There are so many dogs that don't get the chance and I know that he was thankful for your love and friendship always.

    Keep in touch :)

    ReplyDelete