Thursday, October 15, 2009

To Poop or Not to Poop...



I remembered one of Sparky's little quirks the other day and I wanted to share it, even though it may be entirely disgusting to a dogless person.

Sparkers had a way about him that was just priceless. He had a habit of doing a little post-poop dance, almost like the NFL players when they score a touchdown. It always made me crack up. This little dance was also very useful if, for example, I'd be out in the yard doing stuff and Sparks would roam around on his own. The minute I'd see him bouncing around, and hopping towards me, mouth wide open into a big goofy smile, I knew exactly what had transpired. And so I would go off on my little "Treasure Hunt" making sure he didn't end up fertilizing the neighbors lawn again. He also was a very modest dog. If we were walking together on the street and the mood struck him, he would gracefully excuse himself behind a bush or tree and do his business there. Always out of sight. I think it had to do with stage fright. :D

Sparky was such a unique dog. He was so lovable, so goofy, soooo incredibly well-mannered, and sooooo needy, but sweet. I loved every minute of every day with him. I know I've said this before, but since his passing, things haven't been the same. I miss my Sparky-induced moods ... I'm back to my serious self. Life is just so much more complicated without my boy ... I miss his antics... I miss everything.

Sleep tight Puppyface.

4 comments:

  1. He sounds like a wonderfully free-spirited comedian!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some dogs are quite shy that way. Of course, Cowgirl was, as well. One year we spent several months in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. Our campground had some grass & dirt and usually she took care of business there, before we went out on the town. Well, one morning, appparently she didn't and there was a bit of a panic as we were walking the stone sidewalks and cobblestone streets. Not a blade of grass or patch of dirt in sight. Then she just stopped and stepped into the street and....
    Needless to say, she was just so embarrassed. I tried not to let her see me laughing.
    You sound better.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny. Indie was a city dog, so things were scooped up immediately behind her. I was odd that she never went on the sidewalk, but always preferred to balance on the curb and go in the street. But she didn't like me to watch. She'd give me a funny look if I did. What really cracked me up, is that any time we were in a yard (of family or friends) she always went somewhere along the perimeter. Corners especially. And then . . . .once she'd done her thing, she'd RUN!!!! I mean BOLT!!! Sometimes in circles around the whole yard, sometimes just over to me! She was like a mad puppy with a burst of insane energy just running and running. It always made everyone laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sparky, you are so gosh darn cute! No wonder your mom wanted to snuggle you all the time.

    I can just see you now...with a football helmet on and little spiked shoes....doing your celebration dance.

    Dear M - I know exactly what you are talking about with the Sparky induced moods. I used to do this silly dance in the kitchen that would make Bailey bark like crazy - I think she was saying, "stop, mom, you are such a dork and you are embarrassing me."

    ReplyDelete