Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day One


Today, I finally got with it. I had researched plenty of websites and have a pretty good idea what needs to be done.


I've switched El Pooch from regular Hill Science Diet with Beneful to an All-Protein diet. Steak and egg whites for dinner. He was one happy little pup. I don't think I've seen him dive in like that in a long time. I believe the all-protein diet will go a long way with him, and poochie will be more than happy with the change. So yeah, all-protein supposedly helps build and maintain muscle. Cancer feeds off carbs. Must stay away from carbs! After work, I did some more shopping and I think I'm ready to go. From now on all his meals will be prepared by me. Of course I'm still learning the new Canine Cuisine.


I am still a little confused about all the supplements and herbs and there's even some stuff out there - K9 Immunity - that's supposed to help. I don't know whether it's a bunch of junk, but I think I'm willing to try. I need more help with this. I think I'll be calling an herbalist tomorrow. My "BF" is a physician, so he'll have to explain a few things as well ... Gosh, it seems there's not enough time to pussy-foot around and take it easy. The other thing, it's expensive, but I had some wonderful friends who donated between 10 to 40 bucks each and now I can "almost" afford the extra care.


Anyway, it seems that with an all-protein diet and some supplements, there might be a slight chance that I get a few extra weeks out of him. Of course, prerequisite is that there's no pain or suffering on his part...


Just a few more weeks ... that would be nice.

1 comment:

  1. Mareike, can you tell me the ratio of steak/egg whites that you used? (This is Maureen from the Gray Muzzle page...Joe's mom.) Joe's loosing muscle mass and, while I know it may be a stretch, anythiing I could do to reverse even a portion of that would be a blessing. Also, did you cook the steak, or just raw? I presume the egg whites are cooked?

    ReplyDelete